Droopy eyelid is a condition that affects 10-14 people out of 100,000 people in the United States. And, not just in the U.S, this is a condition that prevails across the world. While some people get used to it, some people prefer getting their appearance corrected.
That is where the eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty comes in. It is a procedure that repairs the appearance of droopy eyelids by surgically getting rid of the excess skin and fats around the eyelids.
If you are planning on correcting this issue, India is a leading country that with the latest technology and premium hospitals equipped with highly qualified specialists.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- Who Needs Eyelid Surgery?
- Types of Eyelid Surgery
- How to Prepare Yourself for Eyelid Surgery in India?
- What to Expect During Eyelid Surgery in India?
- Cost of Eyelid Surgery in India
- Why should you consider India for Eyelid Surgery?
1. Who Needs Eyelid Surgery?
Aside from the primary cause of droopy eyelids, there are a few other causes that encourage people to undergo eyelid surgery. If you are having altered vision because of restrictions to the lower eyelids, it is better you consider this surgery. A patient is ideal for Blepharoplasty if:
- You have saggy or droopy upper eyelids
- You have excess skin around the upper eyelids that obstruct your peripheral vision
- You have excess baggage under your eyes
- You have excess loose skin around the lower eyelids
Many patients often combine eyelid surgery with other cosmetic procedures like a facelift or skin laser for hyperpigmentation. It depends on your requirements as a patient and whether you want to cut down the cost of coming back to India multiple times for other procedures when you could have that done in a single visit to the country.
2. Types of Eyelid Surgery
When discussing the types of eyelid surgery, there are three primary categories. They are classified on the basis of the part of the eyelid that needs to be corrected with the surgical procedures. The three types include:
Ptosis is a condition where the individual has one or both of their eyelids droopy. It is quite a rare condition but affects the overall vision of the affected patient. Often, it alters both the peripheral and the straight vision of the patient. The condition is often diagnosed in children after their birth.
If that is the case, the parents need to consult a skilled ophthalmologist for the diagnosis, following which the final surgery is done between the age of three to six, depending on the condition. During the procedure, the doctor strengthens the eyelid muscle by shortening it. It gets rid of the droopy eyelids and helps restore the normal vision of the child.
This type of eyelid surgery is done in patients with stretched eyelid skin that is giving it a droopy look. Generally, the condition might happen due to aging and the constant stretching of the skin, causing the appearance of excess eyelid skin. Having stretched out eyelids can affect the side vision, which is why getting eyelid surgery is a good option.
Using the procedure of Blepharoplasty, the surgeon removes the excess skin and fatty tissues surgically near the eyelid to tighten the skin around the eyelids. The surgery adds more definition to the area around the eyelids and makes the patient look less tired.
Ectropion is a condition where the lower eyelids have a droopy appearance. It can be due to aging, trauma, prominent skin disease, or even a tumor. If the droopy appearance extends towards the eyeball, it is called Entropion. The condition is quite serious and affects the vision and causes watering in the eyes.
The eyelid surgery for this condition is done to correct the appearance of the drooping eyelids to the normal position. It reduces the complications of irritation and redness that comes with it.
3. How to Prepare Yourself for Eyelid Surgery in India?
With the kind of popularity that India has gained because of its well-equipped hospitals and experienced ophthalmologists, several medical tourists prefer coming down here for their treatment. If you are one of them and want to get your eyelid surgery done in India, there are a few things you need to prepare for ahead of time.
Make a checklist of the required documents:
- Previous reports and images of the tests as done in the home country
- Scanned copy of the passports (patient and attendant)
- Scanned copy of a photograph of the patient
- Address proof
- e-Medical visa
- Recommendation letter from the hospital in India
- Health insurance (if any)
- Proof of funds for the treatment
Not just the documents, the patient also needs to keep a check on their general health before coming to India for the surgery. Avoid sticking to unhealthy habits like smoking or alcohol. And, if you are struggling with any complications with your vision or eye infection, it is better to consult a doctor and recover from it before flying out to India.
4. What to Expect During Eyelid Surgery in India?
When you are in India for the surgery, there are a few pointers that you should be aware of before you undergo the treatment. The first step is to have a face to face consultation with the reporting doctor in the hospital in India to get a better outlook about the procedure along with the risks and complications.
Before the surgery
- Before the actual surgery, the patient needs to have a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon, who is a plastic surgeon specializing in eye surgeries and corrections.
- The patient needs to undergo a series of prescribed laboratory tests as prescribed by the surgeon to get the latest outlook on the condition
- The patient also needs to be clear about their expectations from the surgery to ensure that the surgeon can work to provide a satisfactory outcome
- As for the preparation, the doctor might ask the patient to avoid smoking, drinking alcohol and preventing the risks of infection
- The patient also needs to stop taking blood-thinning medicines like warfarin to prevent the risks of blood loss during the surgery
During the surgery
- On the day of the surgery, the patient needs to have someone with them to drive them to and from the hospital.
- The surgeon generally starts the procedure by injecting numbing medication to the eyelids to help the area relax
- As for the procedure, it is done according to the requirements of the patients and the part of the eyelid that needs to be corrected
After the surgery
- The patient might experience a few temporary complications right after the surgery including blurred vision, watering eyes, light sensitivity, puffiness and swelling around the eyelids, and mild pain
- The doctor will prescribe the patient will the needed medications for pain, swelling and possible risks of infections
- Ice pack compression should be done every hour on the night of the surgery
- The patient needs to avoid rubbing their eyes or indulge in rigorous activities right after the surgery
- Patients who wear contact lenses need to avoid wearing them for at least two weeks after the surgery
- If swelling persists, cool compression with ice packs can help alleviate the pain and discomfort
- The patient needs to come back for a follow-up appointment for getting rid of the stitches within a week or so after the surgery
Generally, the initial recovery after an eyelid surgery generally takes between 10-14 days, during which time the patient might feel better enough to get back to their normal routine. Although, the swelling and the appearance of the eyelids might be altered up to 3 weeks after the surgery.
The general appearance of the eyes gets back to normal within 1-3 months. But, the recovery timeline is extremely subjective, depending on the patient’s healing capabilities.
Factors affecting the recovery
- The extent of the treatment
- Age of the patient
- General health before the surgery
5. Cost of Eyelid Surgery in India
The cost of eyelid surgery will vary depending on the type of surgery the patient is getting along with the extent of techniques the surgeons are using for the treatment.
Generally, the cost starts from INR 10,000 and can go as high as INR 2,00,000, depending on factors like:
- Hospital charges
- City the treatment is done in
- Techniques used
- Extent or type of the eyelid surgery
- Experience of the surgeon
In India, the patients are assured of the best treatment with cost-effective medical packages.
6. Why should you consider India for Eyelid Surgery?
Aside from the team of skilled professionals and the latest techniques, India is also equipped with a range of the finest hospitals that make it an ideal destination for medical tourists who want to undergo eyelid surgery. Some of the other reasons why you should choose India for eyelid surgery include:
- Finest hospitals with the latest techniques and training
- Skilled team of ophthalmologists and oculoplastic surgeons
- Affordable medical packages
- Ease of acquiring a medical visa
- Ease of communication with translators
- Foreign exchange
- Personalized care for the patient
- Safety and following protocols in Covid situation
- Patient confidentiality
- Great results and better success rate
At Medinirvana, you don’t have to worry about any part of the procedure. We take care of the minute details and arrange your medical trip to India to undergo eyelid surgery at the finest hospitals in India under the guidance of internationally accredited surgeons.
Instead of waiting, it is important that you take the condition of ptosis or ectropion seriously before it alters your vision. Eyelid surgery is a minimally invasive procedure that is done with the utmost care and precision in India by highly skilled surgeons in the country. If you have been planning to get the treatment in India, we can help you with the process for a hassle-free experience.
1^ Who Needs Eyelid Surgery? MayoClinic | February 08, 2021
2^ Types of Eyelid Surgery AAO | February 08, 2021
3^ What to Expect During Eyelid Surgery in India? MayoClinic | February 08, 2021
4^ Cost of Eyelid Surgery in India Quora | February 08, 2021