Fibroids are benign tissue growth inside the uterine cavity and may cause difficulties for a few women, such as pain in the abdomen, heavy bleeding, etc. The incidence of uterine fibroid is about 20%–40% in women during their reproductive ages. (1)
Many countries offer surgical as well as non-surgical treatment options for patients. The treatment can be expensive in countries like The US, UK, Germany, etc., thus, many symptomatic women seek treatment in other affordable places. With the rise in advanced healthcare facilities in developing countries, ease of travel, and availability of affordable options, a large number of patients are traveling to countries like India. Top-rated hospitals in India offer a range of treatments for the effective management of fibroids.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What are Fibroids?
- What treatment options are available for Fibroids?
- How to prepare yourself for Fibroid treatment in India?
- What to expect while considering Fibroid treatment in India?
- Recovery from Fibroid Treatment
- Cost of Fibroid Treatment in India
- Why should you prefer India for Fibroid Treatment?
1. What are Fibroids?
Fibroids are non-cancerous cells that form a tumor inside the uterus during the reproductive age of women. There are different types of fibroids, for example, intramural fibroids, sub-serosal fibroids, pedunculated fibroids, and submucosal fibroids. It is also possible to have one or several fibroids, varying in size from a few mm to more than 20cm.
Genetic history and hormonal imbalance are the key reasons behind the development of fibroids.The presence of high levels of estrogen and progesterone increases the chances of fibroid development.
Most of the fibroids are asymptomatic in nature but in some cases, they cause heavy menstrual bleeding, pain in the lower abdomen, fertility problems, frequent urination, anemia, etc. If you’re experiencing one or more of these fibroids symptoms, you may require treatment.
2. What treatment options are available for Fibroids?
Fibroid symptoms can be managed effectively with surgical and non-surgical treatment approaches.
As hormonal imbalance is one of the key reason behind, the first line of treatment usually includes hormonal medicines e.g.:
- Oral contraceptive
- Gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists
Minimally invasive surgery to remove Fibroids
- Endometrial ablation: this treatment uses laser or heated wire to remove the lining of the uterus containing the fibroid
- Uterine artery embolization (UAE): effective and minimally invasive treatment that includes inserting tiny particles inside the uterine arteries to block the blood flow, thereby shrinking the fibroids and alleviating symptoms.
- Open surgery: removing the fibroids while leaving the uterus in place
- Myomectomy: uterine fibroids (submucosal) are removed while retaining the ovaries
- Hysterectomy: A major surgery where all or part of the uterus is removed
3. How to prepare yourself for Fibroid treatment in India?
When you are suffering from symptoms of fibroids and seeking treatment in India, here are few things to remember for planning your trip:
- Carry all the essential documents including your recent medical test reports, scans, letter from the hospital.
- Discuss with your doctor in India about your symptoms, the procedure, and what the risk factors are. Understand the procedure and follow the pre-procedure instructions to prepare yourself both physically and mentally for your chosen procedure.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle, if required ask for nutritional counseling. This will help minimize the complications during the healing process and improves the overall outcomes of the treatment.
- Careful planning and preparations will help you reduce risks associated with treatment abroad.
4. What to expect while considering Fibroid treatment in India?
- Preliminary tests will be conducted to understand the location, size, and type of fibroids.
- Depending on the type and severity of your symptoms, as well as the size and location of your fibroids, your doctor will recommend a suitable treatment option.
- Provide doctor details about your symptoms, general health, medical history, and also about all prescribed or over-the-counter medications you are currently taking.
- Do not forget to mention your allergies.
- Before the procedure, avoid unhealthy habits, such as smoking, excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages, etc.
- Ask your doctor about what not to eat before surgery.
The procedure differs for each treatment option and the surgical procedure is done under anesthesia.
Post treatment care
- You will be staying in the hospital for a day or two depending upon the treatment options.
- Bleeding after the procedure is normal and you will be given pain medications for a few days.
- Follow the medicine course as prescribed and follow other instructions about taking bath, food to eat, resuming routine activity, etc.
- Follow up sessions are also important to identify and treat any complications.
5. Recovery from Fibroid Treatment
The recovery timeline depends upon the treatment options, the age and general health of the patient. For procedures like hysterectomy, the recovery period is four to six weeks. The hospital stay is two to three days. You will require taking good rest before resuming to a normal routine. Avoid strenuous, sports activity for a few months.The minimally invasive procedures offer a faster recovery period of up to 3 weeks only. The doctor will give you painkillers and antibiotics to avoid any complications. Avoid taking blood thinning medicines till the healing process is complete.
Factors affecting Success Rates:
- Your age
- Complexity of the procedure
- General health
- Experience and expertise of the doctor
In India, fibroid Treatment is one of the most commonly opted procedures with high success rates.
The combination of highly skilled doctors and world-class facilities and infrastructure improves the rate of successful outcomes in India.
6. Cost of Fibroid Treatment in India
The cost of Fibroid treatment in India is less when it is compared with the other western countries and the cost per procedure is given below:
- Myomectomy: 3000 USD to 5000 USD
- Hysteroscopy: 1000 USD to 3000 USD
- Hysterectomy: 2000 USD to 4000 USD
The cost depends on the extent of the procedure and many other factors such as:
- Reputation of hospital
- Fees of doctor
- Duration of stay
- Amenities required
7. Why should you prefer India for Fibroid Treatment?
Every year thousands of people are traveling to India to avail fibroids treatment due to the following reasons:
Use of Latest Technologies: Most hospitals use cutting-edge technology related to fibroid treatment. The availability of the latest technologies such as Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic technology provides a high level of precision, minimum error, and more comfort for patients.
Highly qualified doctors: The doctors and specialists in India are all highly qualified with a broad range of specialties with a rich experience of several years.
Minimum waiting period: In India, there is a very little waiting period for treatment and most hospitals are flexible to accommodate your schedule.
Patient support system: Our team will assist you in booking flight tickets, accommodation and meal facilities as per your choice.
Wellness centres for body and mind rejuvenation: The country has a number of Spa and Wellness centres for relaxing the mind and body. The hospitals also offer special Yoga programmes to help you relieve the stress and relax.
Language no bar: the doctors and hospital staff are fluent in English and also have translators for non-English speaking patients.
COVID care: The highest standards of patient care and safety is our topmost priority and hospitals in India are taking special precautions during the pandemic situation
High success rates: Indian hospitals have high success rates in fibroids treatments by utilizing high-end technologies and highly skilled medical professionals.
Affordable cost: the treatments are available in a highly affordable range, especially compared with developed countries like the US, Canada, etc. The prices are also low compared to other medical destination countries. Additionally, the accommodation, food, and transport facilities are cheaper, thus non-medical expenses are reduced.
Ease in Medical Visa: Applying for a medical visa is easy and the E-visa process is hassle-free.
Uterine fibroids occur in approximately 40% of women worldwide, and every year a large number of patients travel abroad for treatment. India offers the best treatment and care for patients suffering from fibroids symptoms for an affordable price. The best hospitals for fibroid removal surgery in India are located in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and other metro cities. These hospitals have specialized surgeons, well equipped, and advanced technologies. Visit India to avail the world class services and personalized care at an affordable price. Call Medinirvana now to have an answer to all your queries related to your medical trip to India.