Ovarian Cyst is a highly prevalent condition. In some cases, it is associated with painful symptoms, while in other cases it may not cause any pain or discomfort. In most of the cases, these cysts do not require any intervention. However, if there are any complications associated with the ovarian cysts, it will require detailed evaluation and treatment.
If you are suffering from persistent pain and other signs of ovarian cysts, it is better to consult your gynecologist who can advise on next steps.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What is Ovarian Cyst?
- Treatment Options
- How to plan a medical trip to India?
- What to expect?
- Cost of Ovarian Cyst Removal in India
- Why Choose India for Ovarian Cyst Removal?
1. What is ovarian cysts?
Ovarian cysts are fluid filled sacs formed on the surface or inside the ovary. There are different types of cysts according to their causes:
Functional cysts: These cysts are formed during the ovulation process and their function is releasing enzymes and pushing the egg at the time of ovulation.
Endometriotic cysts: These cysts are formed as a result of endometriosis and grow outside the uterus. These cysts can accumulate, may cause infertility and other complications.
Benign cysts: These cysts are the result of abnormal tissue growth and most of the benign cysts are asymptomatic. In a few cases, they cause pelvic pain and require treatment.
Malignant cysts: Malignant cysts or cancerous cysts are diagnosed by physicians and are treated with biopsy or surgical removal procedure.
There are many reasons behind cysts formation including hormonal imbalance, endometriosis, pelvic infection, etc. The common symptoms are:
- Pelvic pain, abdominal pain, and/or Pain during intercourse
- Pain in lower back
- Bloating abdomen
- Vomiting, nausea
- Tenderness in breasts
Women with ovarian cancer may also experience rapid breathing, dizziness, weakness, sudden and sharp pain in the abdomen, etc.
2. Treatment Options
After diagnosing the presence of a cyst by routine physical and ultrasound examination, the doctor may recommend a surgical removal procedure in urgent cases.
The treatment options:
Depending upon the type of cysts your doctor will recommend the following treatment options:
- Pain medications to provide temporary relief
- Hormonal treatment: Oral contraceptive pills to manage the formation of new cysts
- Cystectomy: surgical removal of cyst for cysts that do not resolve on their own, and are large in size.
3. How to plan a medical trip to India?
Planning your trip to India for ovarian cyst removal surgery is a simple procedure.
- First step is selecting the best ovarian cancer treatment centers in India offering premier diagnostic and treatment services.
- Check information about the accommodation, food, transport facility etc.
- Do not forget to carry all the important documents including your recent blood report, scans, test results and referral certificate.
- It is better to ask a friend or a family member to accompany you during your trip.
- You will be required to avoid taking certain medications such as blood thinner. Also, avoid smoking or alcohol consumption for at least 10 days before surgery as it affects your healing process.
4. What to expect?
Diagnosis and pre-treatment care:
If you are suffering from any of the above-mentioned symptoms, your doctor will first suggest a physical examination. In addition, he/she may recommend the following test to diagnose the problem:
- Ultrasound tests such as vaginal CT scan, MRI test, etc.: these tests use high-frequency sound waves to produce an image of your pelvic region. These highly detailed imaging scans will help understand the location and whether it is spread to other regions as well.
- Pap smear for pelvic examination: herein cells from the cervix are collected and studied in the laboratory. The test will rule out the presence of cancerous cells.
- Laparoscopy : With the help of a laparoscope, a small tissue sample is collected and sent to a laboratory for biopsy.
- Hormonal test: Your doctor will take a blood test to check levels of certain hormones including follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), testosterone, luteinizing hormone, etc.
- Blood test: To rule out the possibility of cancerous growth, a blood test called CA-125 is conducted. This test is done to check the presence of certain proteins in a blood sample and it is more commonly done for women above 35. There is a risk of ovarian cancer, particularly for women going through the menopausal phase.
These tests help determine the size, location, and shape of the cyst. Based on these factors, your doctor will recommend a suitable treatment plan.
Following the surgery, you will be kept under observation in the hospital. The recovery period is shorter for laparoscopic surgery, as compared to the open surgery. Post-surgery you may experience some pain, vaginal bleeding (for laparoscopic), bloating of the abdomen, etc. Your surgeon will prescribe a few pain medications along with other antibiotic, anti-inflammatory medicines. If a test sample is sent for biopsy, after seeing the results your surgeon will recommend some additional treatment required for you.
The recovery time for laparoscopic surgery is shorter and requires shorter hospital stays. There is less scarring, smaller incision and hence you can get back to your routine life in 8 to 10 days. The recovery period for laparotomy is approximately 8 to 10 weeks.
Like any surgical treatment, there are few risks associated with ovarian cysts surgery such as infection at the site, bleeding, damage to neighboring organs, allergies to anesthesia, etc. In rare cases, additional surgery is required for managing the complications. Contact your surgeon immediately if you notice severe bleeding, persistent pain, breathing troubles, etc.
5. Cost of Ovarian Cyst Removal in India
The cost of the surgery depends on the following factors:
- The choice of hospital
- Surgeon’s fee
- Type of tests required
- Duration of stay
- Amenities required
The average cost for laparotomy procedure in major cities is 1.5 lakhs to 3 lakhs rupees. The standard duration of stay in hospital is approximately 7 to 9 days. While for laparoscopic procedures the hospital stay is only 3 to 4 days and the average cost of the entire treatment ranges between 50,000 to 2.5 lakhs rupees.
6. Why Choose India for Ovarian Cyst Removal?
Ovarian cyst removal is a minor surgery and the success rate depends upon the type of cyst, the patient’s age, and general health, and most importantly experience of the doctor. In India, the success rate of surgery is as high as 85%. Most reputed hospitals have highly experienced surgeons with the highest success rate for ovarian cyst removal. (1)
Multi-speciality hospitals in India utilizes the latest technologies and offer the highest quality of care for all its patients.These hospitals are well equipped for precise diagnosis and accurate treatment, along with emergency service facilities. A team of specialists in the field of urology, gynecology, general surgery and robotics will be performing the surgical procedure and all the services are offered under one roof. The staff of experienced doctors, well trained nurses and other medical staff are well versed with English, and offer a holistic approach for each patient. The services are available at affordable prices as compared to western and other developing countries.
Ovarian cyst removal surgery in India is performed by the world class surgeons with the help of latest technology at the modern medical facilities. The hospitals in the country offer high quality care, utilizing the best and most up-to-date technologies at affordable prices. With a simple medical visa process, it is now easy to get the surgery performed at a reputed and recognized hospital in India