The field of dentistry is highly misunderstood, primarily because of the lack of knowledge that people have about the treatments. However, with the advancements in dentistry, more and more techniques are being introduced, and dental braces treatment is one of them.
Given how India has evolved in its medical field, it is not surprising that patients prefer coming here for their dental problems, especially because of the skilled professionals, cutting-edge technologies, and leading hospitals.
If you are planning on visiting India to get your dental braces, this article will guide you from the start till the beginning.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- Who Needs Dental Braces?
- Types of Dental Braces
- What do you need while planning your medical tour to India?
- What to expect when considering India Dental braces treatment in India?
- Alternatives of Dental Braces
- What is the cost of Dental Braces in India?
- Why should you prefer India for Dental Braces?
1. Who Needs Dental Braces?
Dental braces are used to address both aesthetic and functional concerns of the patients. If you have misaligned teeth or an inconvenient bite, braces help reaffirm the alignment and treat the issues.
If you are here wondering whether you need dental braces or not, there are a few factors that need consideration. You might need dental braces if you have any of the following issues:
- If you have crooked or crowded teeth (Malocclusion)
- If you have missing teeth
- If your teeth are spaced out, leaving gaps in between
- If you have impaired functioning of the jaw or bite
- If you consistently experience gum diseases
- If you have a speech impairment
- If you experience frequent jaw pain
2. Types of Dental Braces
Once you finish your consultation with the dentist, they will either go ahead and suggest you the best type of braces for your dental profile or ask you to choose from the following four types of dental braces.
All of them are available in India and are customized by a board-certified dentist according to the patient’s needs.
Traditional Metal braces – One of the most common types of dental braces available in India and worldwide are the metal braces. These are considered the most effective in aligning the teeth and correcting any functional problems. They involved wires and brackets that are made out of metal. One of the newest techniques in this type includes the heat-activated archwires, which use the natural heat generated in the oral cavity to align the teeth back in shape.
Ceramic braces – A close copy of the metal braces, the ceramic braces generally come in varying shapes and sizes and are made with ceramic material instead of metal. The ceramic braces align themselves with the natural colour of your teeth to mask the appearance of the braces. But, given that they are made with expensive material, they cost more than the metal braces.
Lingual braces – The lingual braces are attached to the back of the teeth instead of the front. Although they are concealed well in your oral cavity, they are a lot less effective than the traditional metal braces. So, if you are willing to wear braces for longer, they can be the right choice. They are convenient, but they may bruise the tongue and are a little harder to clean.
Self-ligating braces – Just like the name suggests, these dental braces use individual clips to hold the wires of the metal braces in place. These are a lot more effective in putting pressure on the teeth to retain their natural shape and cause a lot less friction in comparison.
3. What do you need while planning your medical tour to India?
If you are not satisfied with your dental treatment in your own country due to a lack of funds or the latest techniques, getting the treatment done in India is a pretty good option. With the skilled team of doctors and well-equipped dental hospitals in India, you wouldn’t have to worry about the results or the success rate.
However, visiting India as a medical tourist does involve a few formal steps that the patient has to fulfil. Submitting the required documents and consulting a reputable medical tourism company is vital. Some of the most important documents required for planning your medical tour to India include:
- Previous doctor consultation reports
- Scanned copy of the passport (both the patient and the attendant)
- Address proof of the patient and attendant
- e-Medical Visa
- Prior medical reports (scanned copy)
- Hospital recommendation letter in India
- Required Covid-19 test reports (according to the Indian government guidelines)
- Proof of the required fund for the treatment
- Health insurance details
Look into your general health.
Another factor worth considering when planning your medical tour to India is your general health. From your vitals to your physical and mental state, you need to ensure that you are fit enough to travel to India and undergo the treatment without any hindrances.
Things to avoid
When planning your visit to India for your dental braces treatment, there are some essential factors that you need to avoid (as per your dentist’s instruction).
- Avoid smoking and drugs before the treatment
- Don’t rely on the past medical records solely
- Don’t take the pre-care instructions as suggested by the dentist lightly
4. What to expect when considering India Dental braces treatment in India?
When you have your dental braces treatment planned in India, there are several things that you can expect during the treatment. From skilled professionals conducting the treatment to highly-equipped hospitals, a lot of factors a patient needs to consider when planning their dental braces treatment in India.
- The procedure of dental braces treatment generally starts with a recent and face to face consultation with the dentist after you arrive in India
- Tests and imaging are done to get a look into the condition of the oral cavity
- The dentist will likely suggest the necessary precautionary steps needed before the final fitting of the braces
- The dentist might prescribe medications if you have any kinds of oral health or medical issues
- Once the dental braces are fitted, the dentist will likely suggest frequent follow-ups in the following weeks to check how the braces are working and if they fit perfectly
- The dentist might recommend the needed steps of maintenance of the braces, right from cleaning them to storing them (in case of removable braces)
- Avoid consuming sticky foods like candies and chewing gums
- The dentist may also suggest the patient consume liquid or semi-solid foods for at least 3-4 weeks to adjust to wearing the dental braces
Generally, the recovery for the patient starts after the first week after the treatment. You will likely begin to feel less pain and discomfort due to the braces, making it easier for you to adjust to this new addition to your teeth.
The teeth also get acclimated to the braces for the first time, making it more comfortable for you to wear daily. In case you experience pain or any inflammation, it is better to consult your dentist immediately for the same.
There are a few types of hard food that the dentist suggests not eating for around 3-4 weeks after the treatment. Try and stick to a diet that is healthy, nutritious and easy to consume as well.
Factors affecting the recovery
Several factors affect the recovery process after getting dental braces. Some of them include:
- Age of the patient
- The general health of the patient
- Post-treatment care done by the patient
- The extent of the procedure
- Type of dental braces the patient is getting
Indian dentists and hospitals take care of the patient’s requirements, ensuring to meet their dental needs with targeted treatment plans.
5. Alternatives of Dental Braces
Many people don’t like getting braces because of how they look. If you are one of those and have been looking for some good alternatives, following are a few you can look into.
Invisalign – These are made of solid plastic aligners that help support and align the crooked teeth. These aligners generally need to be replaced every two weeks to a month during the treatment. Unlike the metal braces, which are harder to clean and maintain, Invisalign is more comfortable to maintain, clean, and wear and take off whenever needed. These braces are often prescribed to patients with minor crookedness or misalignment of the teeth.
Retainers – Although retainers aren’t complete alternatives, they replace dental braces after initial use. Once the braces have helped correctly position the crooked teeth, the retainers help hold that position for the future. They are removable. While some are made with metal wires, some retainers are clear and cover the expanse of the teeth.
Headgear – These are great alternatives to dental braces, especially in helping treat serious overbites in younger patients.
Veneers – Common among celebrities, Veneers are capped teeth that help fill in gaps between teeth of the patients. In this treatment, the orthodontist removes a layer of the enamel and then affixes a veneer using multiple techniques, the UV light-sensitive resin being the most common option.
Accelerated orthodontics – This is an alternative for the patients who don’t want to wait years wearing dental braces. In this, the dentist uses micro osteoperforation to weaken the jaw bones and exert pressure to allow the teeth to move to a corrected position.
6. What is the cost of Dental Braces in India?
The cost of dental braces in India varies on the type of braces the patient is getting. One thing that makes India stand out of the rest of the countries is the economical cost of the braces and the treatment, in general.
Generally, the traditional metal braces start from INR 15,000 to INR 20,000 and above. The lingual braces are likely one of the most expensive options, starting from INR 70,000.
Some of the factors that affect the cost of dental braces treatment include:
- Type of dental braces the patient is getting
- Charges of the orthodontist and the hospital
- City of the treatment
- Follow up consultations
- Accommodation charges of the hotel
7. Why should you prefer India for Dental Braces?
Not only do you get access to premium healthcare services in India, but also assured of cost-effective treatment.
Some of the reasons why India is the ideal country for dental braces treatment include:
- Skilled and certified orthodontists
- Renowned and well-equipped dental hospitals
- Cost-effective treatment
- Ease of communication
- Excellent hospitality and latest techniques
- High-quality service
- Customized and personalized care
- Ease in acquiring the medical visa
- Following Covid-19 safety protocols
- Patient confidentiality
- Enhanced success rate
At Medinirvana, you get the best services to help arrange for your medical tour to Indian for getting the treatment.
India is a leading country when it comes to getting dental braces and the associated treatments. With a higher success rate, skilled professionals and high-end equipment, it is easier for the patients to get personalized medicine as per their requirements. Hospital staff here is also empathetic and helpful throughout the process, making the treatment a lot easier to go through.